If you’re looking for ways to increase the value of your property, you may want to start with your landscape. The appearance of your home or business’s property makes a strong first impression on your guests and can even affect your own opinion of your property. In addition to maintaining a well-manicured lawn, you may want to consider introducing other landscaping features as a means of improving curb appeal. Landscape river rock offers a versatile and affordable solution.
Known for its smooth and rounded texture, landscape river rock is available in many sizes, ranging from 3/8″ to 5″.
Each size group has its function as a means of meeting your landscaping needs and desires. The neutral and attractive color palette of these stones ensures that they will compliment any property.
Landscape river rock is extremely easy to work with, however many home and business owners are unsure of where to begin. Two of the most common questions we hear are:
- Why should I use river rocks on my property and how can they best be utilized?
- How much will this project cost and how can I get the best value for my money?
This guide to landscape river rock will show you all the steps in landscaping with river rock to ensure that the process is as smooth and seamless as possible.
Landscape River Rock Uses
River rocks have long been popular for use in landscaping applications as they can be used for a wide variety of projects. You might consider introducing river rocks to your landscape for purposes such as:
- Paths and walkways – River rocks are an excellent choice for creating garden paths or front walkways in your property. The stones are comfortable to walk upon and the variety of colors and shapes will add visual interest to your land.
- Play areas – Many people choose to use small river rocks in the areas surrounding their children’s play areas and equipment. A 2-3″ layer of these stones can be very shock absorbent, making them safe for falls. The rocks are also cleaner than other alternatives like sand or mulch and do not attract insects or other pests.
- Edging – River rocks of various sizes can act as a great edging material. The rocks will look beautiful as they create boundaries at the edge of flower beds, gardens, walkways, or even around the sides of the property itself.
- Gardens – Those with a green thumb will love the fact that river rocks promote healthy drainage while looking excellent in a garden setting. The stones do not decay or become infested with bugs, which makes them last longer and more cost-efficient in the long run.
- Water features – River rocks can be utilized for the creation or enhancement of wet or dry water features. These stones are stunning when grouped around a fountain, in creating a waterfall, or surrounding a pool or pond. They can also be used to construct dry riverbeds and streams.
- Erosion prevention – For sloped yards, the erosion of land in inclement weather can be an issue. River rocks make it possible not only to improve the look of your landscape but also to preserve it by strategically placing the stones in a way that prevents erosion.
Size Comparison Between 1″-2″ and 2″-4″ landscaping river rock.
Landscape River Rock Sizing
Landscape river rocks are available for purchase in several sizes, each of which has their own set of functions:
- 3/8″ river rock – These are the smallest sized river rocks that are available for purchase. The most common use for these small, smooth stones is in and around playgrounds and play equipment. As they don’t have jagged edges they are safe for children and they require far less maintenance than other alternatives.
- 3/4″ river rock – These stones are ideal for the creation of paths and walkways as their size and smooth texture make them very comfortable to walk upon. The various colors of the stones will bring more interest to the overall look of your landscape and property.
- 1″ river rock – 1″ river rock is perfect size for your landscape as it is still small enough for walkways but can also be used to construct riverbeds and features. It creates a variety of design options for you to choose from.
- 1-3″ river rock – As river rocks continue to get larger in size, they remain versatile. Stones that are 1-3″ are the perfect fit for creating a water feature that will become the centerpiece of your property. These rocks can be used to construct or enhance waterfalls, riverbeds and to surround ponds or other aspects of your landscape. This river rock is also the ideal size for mulch replacement.
- 3-5″ river rock – This is the largest type of river rock that is available. The larger stones are excellent for attracting attention to any part of your landscape. Many property owners prefer to use the larger river rock for creating or adding to water features like waterfalls. 3″ – 5″ river rock can be used as a smaller veneer alternative when compared to the typical 6″-10″ options.
Landscape River Rock Cost
As you begin your landscaping project with river rocks, it’s important that you stay within your budget. To do this, you need to understand the different factors that can influence the price of river rocks, including:
- Size – The price that you will pay for your landscape river rock will depend on the size that you require. Generally speaking, smaller stones will cost more than larger stones as they must undergo additional screening to ensure it is the proper size.
- Volume needed – When calculating how much you will spend you need to determine how much stone you will need to use. For obvious reasons, the higher the volume of stones that you require, the more money you will need to spend. Careful calculations can help you to avoid purchasing too much stone, however, we recommend that you provide some cushion in your calculations. You would be better suited to have some extra than be half a yard short.
- Supplier – The location from which you choose to buy your landscape river rock will play a role in its cost. Before rushing out to your local big-box home improvement store, you should consider the fact that you will likely be charged more than the stone is worth. To ensure that you get the best deal possible it’s always a good idea to visit a river rock supplier.
Landscape River Rock Available at Cline’s Nursery
Tennessee River Rock
Tennessee River Rock
Tennessee River Rock is harvested from the Cumberland Plateau in the mountains of Tennessee. It is a smooth, natural aggregate that has a blended color palette of browns, grays, and neutral tones. We carry the #57 size which has various smooth rocks that average 1/2″ to 3/4″gravel size.
Color: A smooth river stone, with a range of colors including browns, grays, and other neutral tones.
Size: 2” – 4”
Virginia River Rock
Virginia River Rock
Virginia River Rock is harvested from the mountains of Virginia. It is a smooth, natural aggregate that has a blended color palette of browns, grays and neutral tones. The #57 size has various smooth rocks that average 1/2″ to 3/4″gravel size.
Color: Earth tone mocha brown and dark gray color
Size: 1/2″ – 3/4″
Autumn Haze is a tan river rock that is sourced here in North Carolina. Smooth and softly tumbled, it has a beautiful coloration that makes it very popular. This is our biggest seller. We have it available in two sizes. It is a beautiful decorative stone that can be used in flower beds, drainage, or ponds. This is truly a classic stone that will make your landscaping look amazing.
Color: A round smooth river stone, with a color range of golden tan to brown
Size: 1″ – 2″ and 2”-4”
Purchasing Landscape River Rock in Shelby, NC
Our team is knowledgeable about river rock and can answer all of your questions. Landscapers, local contractors, and DIY property owners can rely on us whenever they need bulk river rock for their landscaping and property improvement projects. See above for landscape river rocks that we currently sell, and contact us if you are looking for something unusual, so that we can help you source it. Call us at 704-487-9861 to place your order now, or use our contact form.
Please Note: River rock is a product of nature so the color of the stone may vary according to the area it was quarried or mined in. Also, the thickness of the stone may vary plus or minus from what is stated on this page with each new shipment. Bulk river rock sizes are based on a range of sizes and may run bigger or smaller than size stated on the page. We make every effort to represent the products offered accurately on our website and in our marketing materials, however, photos can be affected by lighting, photography, editing, reproduction or printing. It is important to view the actual product before making your final decision, as we want you to be happy with your river rock purchase.